Thursday, January 17, 2008

Missin' Ya Brooklyn...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was so hot that summer, I had to sleep out on my fire escape three or four times to beat the heat...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I took these photos during the hottest summer that I've ever experienced in my life, an INCREDIBLE summer in New York... My homegirl Sallome (pictured above), an amazing poet, designer, teacher, listener, motivator & just all-around good gal, decided to take me to Brooklyn's famed African Arts Festival. That experience struck a chord with me for a number of reasons, mainly due to the fact that I had never seen so many Black folk groovin' to house music! (Yeah, I said HOUSE MUSIC!!!) & GOOD house music at that! I mean come on, do you really have any idea what you're missing by limiting your musical tastes to the standard fare played by conglomerate-owned money machines like Clear Channel?! Really, how many times can you hear the same "shake-a-booty-ho-&-get-my-cash-cuz-I-be-slangin-the-most-rocks-on
-the-planet-my-3-baby-mama's-ain't-sh*t-but-I'm-ridin-on-dem
-86-inch-rims-beeyotch, hyphy, Ying Yang, Pitbull, Cassie, cock my "9", no depth havin' ass, SAME THREE CHORD PLAYIN' "ARTISTS" on the radio?! It's really a shame that we don't support other genres in the same way, there's a bunch of extremely creative, soul-stirring music out there, but we aren't spoon fed that kind of stuff... in the Bay Area, you have to go lookin' for good, funky, Chicago-style house music, which is the real tragedy of living out here if you are a music head...or Black...or a HUMAN BEING. (Well, to be truthful, I like some of the crap played on the radio, but the saying goes: "everything in moderation" right? ;-) Better still, why not make XM Radio FREE FOR PEOPLE IN LOW INCOME HOUSEHOLDS?! just a thought.

No comments: